Electrical Detectives – Tips for Preventing Electrical Fires
More than 45,000 house fires each year in the United States have an electrical cause.
Here are some tips to help you prevent electrical fires in your home:
- Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring.
- Replace all worn or damaged appliance cords immediately, and don’t ever try to repair them.
- Small appliances should be plugged directly into an outlet – never into an extension cord.
- Unplug small appliances when not in use.
- If an appliance three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet.
- Replace any power tool that shocks you or gives off smoke or sparks.
- Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage for a fixture.
- Extension cords are for temporary use only.
If you have any questions or find anything that concerns you in your home, please call us. It’s better to take care of things before they become a problem.